Online Issue # 2 updated July 2006

Class Family Tree Info

   The following have been gleaned from the "Class Family Tree" web form found on this site, as well as numerous emails sent to Mary Burslie Davis regarding this project.
   If you have not yet filled out the form, please do so. Your classmates would love to read about your roots (or lack of same) in The Dalles.
   These are presented in no particular order, and hopefully are complete and as intended by the various respondees.

Candy Smith Larreau
Bothell, WA

I was the youngest of 4 kids all born & raised in The Dalles, in fact my grandmother on my dad's side was born and raised in The Dalles. I was always quite shy as a kid but at the age of 31 I decided to get over that- I'm now quite outgoing. I met Randy Larreau, from Moses Lake, before my Sr. year and we were married 2 1/2 weeks after I graduated from TDHS. We have lived in various parts of WA. state since leaving The Dalles in '63. As we got pg right away and had our first a little over 9 months after we got married, we decided to continue and have our family young - all 6 kids were born by the time I was 29. Now we have 24 grandchildren and figure we will probably have 8 more before the kids are done. Our children have worked hard and we have 2 attorneys, 1 Dentist (a Capt. in the Airforce), 1 boss in the building trade, 1 a top underground operator, and 1 full time mom (the 10th kid on the way).
For years we had our own construction companies, from Landscaping to land development, to house building so I usually worked from our home in our own businesses, thus never having to put our kids in any kind of daycare. Mostly I was the bookkeeper/accountant, but checked grade, drove dumptruck, purchases materials, whatever I was needed for. Randy & I spent a lot of years working hard raising kids and running businesses, after the kids were all grown and out of the house Randy and I have continued to be close. In 1995 we decided to buy a 30' sailboat and for a few years spent a lot of time sailing in the San Juan Islands, although we still had a construction business. We love to sail, and decided to build a steel sailboat.
Randy and I are still building our 39' steel sailboat and will live aboard and cruise when it is done. It has taken 4 years so far as we closed out our construction business and Randy works long hours as a construction boss for another company. (We closed the business so we would have more time to boatbuild - that didn't work too good) We build on the boat whenever we have a few minutes. We are hoping to have her finished within another 2 years. I don't work out of the home as my job right now is to help on the boat building - when Randy is home we work together on lots of things but when he is working, besides being a go-for, I chip, brush, grind, and clean, etc. - on the boat, whatever I can do. Although I don't weld, I am getting quite good at finish grinding with my 4 1/2" DeWalt grinder.
Besides boat building I enjoy the grandkids which live in this area - talking on the phone with the ones out of town, visiting/talking with our kids, mowing the lawn, gardening, crocheting, reading, shopping, my church callings, ironing, emailing, and all the many things a housewife does. Don't really like to cook though, but... Because of the boat, Randy & I belong to the Metal Boat Society, a worldwide nonprofit organization which is mainly online. This year I was on the committee for our yearly 3 day festival which was held in Bellingham, WA. At the festival I was elected the Vice President of the organization for the next 2 years so guess I worked toooo hard on the Festival Committee. Between boatbuilding, the Metal Boat Society, and our family, it should be an interesting 2 years ahead. Then hopefully retirement and cruising!
Mary Burslie Davis
Madras, OR
     Dear Classmates,
Re: How fate had a hand in us all becoming friends and classmates in The Dalles.
An explanation of my curiosity:
     I have become a genealogy addict and am fascinated discovering why my ancestors inigrated, migrated, settled or moved to a given area.
     I became your classmate because my parents, newly married and seeking an adventure that was different from their lives working on a farrn, were on their way from Minnesota/North Dakota to work in the shipyards in Vancouver., WA for the war effort in 1943. Their old Ford coupe broke down in The Dalles and they couldn't get parts for it until after the weekend. Meantime, they were having lunch in a little cafe that used to be across from The Dalles Ironworks. Dad asked if there was any work to be had in the area. He was told that the railroad needed a crew to do some repair work on the railroad bridge at Celilo Falls. Nothing daunted that little Norwegian - even having to work high above the mighty Columbia River. He immediately signed up for work. The same day my parents rented a very small two room house - on old Dufur Road/Columbia Heights/ east 10th Street which they later bought~and I was raised in - and the rest is history.
     I would love to hear from all of you and will compile our class "genealogy tree" as to how we planted our roots in Wasco County - even if it was for a brief time - for this is where our seeds of friendship grew and blossomed over the years. Did your ancestors move to the area during the Oregon Trail days, homestead in the area, work in the harvest, come during the Harvey Aluminum days, during the building of the dam, or something as simple as having their car break down? I am sure there will be many diverse reasons as to how we all became classmates.
     Forgive me for going on and on - but it is remarkable how each of our lives would have been changed if even one or us had not been in The Dalles. While you may not be aware of any special link, just meeting each one of you so many years ago has shaped my life a lot more than you think. We are a total of the people we have come in contact with. Thank you to those who have already responded. I will wait a few months and turn in a report to the class. This is going to be fun for me - better then writing a term paper any day. The suhiects are my friends, the verbs are going to be adventuresome, the adjectives will be colorful. Throw in some prepositions., adverbs - viola! (How do you diagram a sentence again?)
Hugs, Mary Burslie Davis & Dennis Davis
[Ed:] This page is the compilation of Mary's work. She done good!!!!!!
Diana Ricks Weston
The Dalles, OR
    My family moved to The Dalles in Sept. 1958 from Condon, OR. If Gloria's dad built T.D. Dam single-handedly, then I guess my dad built John Day Dam by himself (and now I have a son who probably knows how to make all the dams on the river shut down (he's an engineer for the Corps).
    We lived in different parts of North Park, Colorado when I was small, traveled from there to South Dakota, then to Montana, and finally Oregon. Didn't know until we moved to Oregon that green grass grew in March! Where I came from it didn't show up till May! ! (More snow, in case you're wondering.)
    It's been interesting over the years to watch the ebb and flow of our class group - where evervone traveled to and what each one is doing now. Good luck to each and every one in the years to come.

Mike Hillman
Salem, OR
My Story: We moved to the Dalles in 1951 My Dad was hired to work on the Dam and Bridge, which he did for a few years. He drove the candy wagon (Nitro truck), and blew up things ( Which he was real good at). My mom worked at the recreation Cafe. After i started school my dad went to work selling beer in town, he drove the Oly beer truck for years.
     I went to The Dalles schools all 12 years and Grad. in 63. I then went into the navy and spent a year in Viet nam. When I returned I met my wife Merlene Routh and was married in 1966, moved to Salem and went to work for the state.
     I now run a string of group homes for a privite party
     I remember having fun times in TD. Although I was not exactly one of the "In crowd" at School, I still made and have been married for 32 years. I have 2 kids and 3 grandkids.
Beverly Panther Sevick
Sioux City, IA
My~Story: My father was the line supt. for Pacific Power & Light and was transferred to The Dalles. I found The Dalles warm, friendly and accepting. I never felt like an outsider! It was a great place to live! My story is not exotic at all, but I loved being in The Dalles and, like you, consider my stay there to have played a big part of who I am and the other lives I've touched along the way.
     As a young couple my mo~ and dad met at the Bonneville Dam project. Mom was 20 and owned her own restaurant--Corky's Cafe--and Dad worked on the dam. They married and moved to Portland where Dad began his life-long career for Pacific Power. I lived in Portland until the beginning of our junior year when Dad was transferred to The Dalles. We stayed until graduation then in a flash we were gone. I have so many fond memories of The Dalles that it seems I was there for a much longer time.      I built and coordinate an alternative education program on the Winnebago Indian Reservation. I have two other teachers, 2.5 aides and 32 students grades 5~12. Lots of work, but lots of fun!
[Ed: Bev is married to Tim Sevick, has 2 sons, but as yet no grandchildren ("Boo-Hoo" is how she puts it!)]
Karen John Quinton
Bath, England
     My mother was truly tbe daughter of pioneers, who struggled along the Oregon Trail and finally settled in Toledo, Washington. There is evidence that my great-great Grandfather Kirkendoll was involved in trapping and trading along the Columbia River and even spent time in The Dalles. However, eventually, like my other maternal great-great grandparents, he settled in Southwest Washington.
     Hailing from the Midwest, my father joined the Coast Guard in 1940, and was sent to Ilwaco, Washington, where he met and married my mother in 1941. They were an unlikely pair, but each imagined the other to offer a different life than the one of their youths. Having been raised on a farm, Mom craved the convenience and sophistication of urban life. Dad fantisized and yearned for the simplicity of country living, after growing up in what would now be called an inner-city ghetto.
     Dad was the son of Italian immigrants. His father was recruited to Omaha, Nebraska to lay tracks for the Union Pacific Railway, and his mother was enticed away from Italy at age 14 to marry my grandfather. They were hoping for a better life, but found themselves in socio-economic circumstances not very different from those of the 'old country'. She gave birth to 13 children, 5 of whom died as infants and one in early childhood. My grandparents and the rest of their children were left to suffer the Great Depression -- and the discrimination against 'foreigners', which is particularly rife in times of scarcity.
    My dad was proud of his rise to chief petty officer in the Navy -- assigned to kitchen patrol during World War II. Following the War, he and my mother settled in Concrete, Washington where he opened a cafe'. Having spent very little of their married life together, they soon discovered differences, which they tried to resolve through my early childhood, but which became irreconcilable when I was 7 years old.
     My mother immediately remarried, and we moved - and moved: from Concrete to Toledo to Bellingham to Portland to Bellingham to Yakima. I attended six different schools between 3rd and 5th grades. Dad moved to Portland where he had cousins and worked as a chef. The summer after Sth grade, Dad took the job as chef at the Court Club, outside of The Dalles on the old highway from Portland. He remained in The Dalles until 1962, working as chef at the Elks Club and running the cafeteria at the Harvey Aluminum Plant.
     My mother and stepfather moved to California and my older sister Toni, my younger brother Rick and I went to live with our dad. I attended 6th grade at Chenowith, but we moved to 9th Street the summer after, and so I attended The Dalles Junior High from 7th through 9th grade. I moved to California to live with my mother after 9th grade.

[Ed: Karen is a psychologist living in England with her husband David. She has a son, Adam, and a step-daughter, Emma. (2 grand-kids)]
Wayne Fraser
Salem, OR
     My youngest sister, my father and myself moved to The Dalles right after my mother passed away (1954). My father was a baker and a cook. He worked at Johnny's Cafe' and at the recreation cafe. My sister married shortly after we came to The Dalles, so it was just my father and I after that. I went to Court St. school for some of the 4th grade. I went to 5th grade in Monterey, CA, where I made the district basketball all-star team. Then we moved back to The Dalles and I went to Whittier school for most of the 6th grade. My teacher was Mrs. Earford.
     We had a basketball team called the Wolves. Ron Rowland and Loren Schacher was some of my teammates. I think Dennis (Davis) played for the Lions.
     I went to 7th grade in Goldendale, WA, then we moved back to TD and I finished going through school there.

[Ed: Wayne retired from the Oregon State Mental Health Division in 1997, and is now "just relaxin'". He has a son , Wayne, Jr.]
Wayne Stout
Maupin, OR
     In the Spring of 1945, I came across the Canadian border in my mother's womb. She was riding on a troop train and told me numerous times that the "home sick" soldiers (Canadian and American) treated her like she was Queen Elizabeth.
[Ed:] Wayne is single and has a daughter Jamie.
(Sven) Erik Lund
Washougal, WA
     I was born in Vejle, Denmark 4/29/45. My parents and I immigrated to America in Jan. 1949. We lived shortly in Montana & Portland, OR before settling in The Dalles in 1952.
     I attended The Dalles schools thru graduation, after which I served an apprenticeship as a machinist for the Union Pacific Railroad. I'm presently employed at Columbia Steel Casting, where I've been for 33 years now.
     My wife Bonnie & I have been married for 37 years. We had 5 children, 3 daughters & 2 sons. We also now have 8 grandchildren.

Craig "Twig" Zeigler
Pendleton, OR
     Moved to The Dalles from Seattle in 1954
     Multnomah College grad in '65 in Automotive
     Race car driver 70 - 76 fuel funny cars
     BMCC automotive instructor 1976 to present
     Owner - Zeigler's Trans past 15 years
[Ed:] Craig and wife Barbara have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren
Pat Sutherland Kenslow
The Dalles, OR
     I was born in Hood River, Oregon on August 18, 1945. I joined two sisters, Julia was six and Judy was two years old. At that time my father was driving a log truck for my uncle. We lived in Hood River until I was a year and a half old and then we moved to Wamic, Oregon. My dad and my uncle, Bob Copper, had bought the sawmill in Wamic and ran a logging operation. (Sorry all you environmentalists, this was before the spotted owl and people chaining themselves to trees! !) We lived in Wamic until my sixth birthday in August, 1951 when we moved to The Dalles. At that time my dad and Uncle Bob opened Wamic Lumber Company (later the name was changed to Coppers Home Center)
     My parents loved the Wamic area and we spent most weekends camping, fishing and visiting friends there. In 1960 my father decided to go back to Wamic so he sold his half of Wamic Lumber Company to my uncle and moved to Wamic where he worked for Cody Logging until his retirement in 1978. My mom stayed in The Dalles until our house was sold in 1961 then she joined my dad. I lived with my sister, Julia, during my junior year of high school and then decided to move to Wamic and attend my senior year at Maupin. It was a very hard decision to make as I'd gone to school with the same kids for eleven years and wanted to graduate with them. However, I also knew it would be my last year at home and I wanted to spend it with my folks. I've always considered The Dalles High School Class of 1963 to be my class! ! It only took until our 35th class reunion for Steve Lawrence and Jim McCall to figure out I didn't graduate with them!
      After graduating from high school, I worked for First Interstate Bank for fifteen years. In 1978 I started working at Chenowith Middle School as a bookkeeper and have been there for twenty two years.
     Dan and I have always loved The Dalles, it was a great place to raise our boys. We still are both very active with water-skiing, snow skiing, hiking, camping, fishing and now we've taken up mountain biking. Hopefully, we shall have many more years to continue these insane activities!
[Ed:] Pat and Dan have 2 sons and a granddaughter

Paula Nelson Schaeffer
Carson City, NV
      You have all been in my thoughts more often than you can imagine. We do have a very special group of people. I feel very blessed to have known you all. Diane's loss was a huge wake up call about how fragile our lives are. It was wonderful reading your messages and knowing that her memory goes on.      I want to add my history about what brought my little family to The Dalles. My dad was a construction engineer with the Corps of Engineers. He worked on the Boneville Dam, and later we lived in Ordnance. (1'm not really clear about when we were there, but I have some pictures and I was very little.) He was sent to McNary, where we lived until after I completed the 1st grade. We moved to The Dalles then and I enrolled in Colonel Wright for 2nd grade only. I attended St. Mary's through 8th grade and then I "hit" the public schools - TDJH and DHS. That was an experience for this sheltered, only child. However, I truly loved the whole experience, and I too believe that knowing you all made me the person I am today. ( Since most of you haven't seen or heard from me for 30 plus years, that's a scary thought! ! !)      Thank you, Mary, for putting this all together, and for keeping us connected. These memories are worth preserving.
     I'm remembering you all and smiling.
[Paula teaches school in the Carson City school district]
Frances Fields
Dillon, MT
      Mom had earned a 2-year teaching degree in the 1920's, got married when she was 35, and dropped out of teaching for 12 years. After my alder brother and I were in school, she resumed teaching in Deer Lodge, MT and took correspondence courses toward her 4-year degree. She got that at her 2-year alma mater, Western Montana College in Dillon, in the summer of 1954. The Placement Office listed an opening in The Dalles; Mom got it, and we moved.
     Dad was mostly a laborer at various trades: chauffer and handyman; farm help; railroad laborer in Deer Lodge, and farm help in The Dalles area until he met a contractor and started in surveying. After the age of 50, a new career! He had begun to work himself up the rungs in surveying, teaching himself the math (never went to college) before he died unexpectedly right before I turned 13.
     After I graduated from DHS, I attended Oregon State for a year and then transferred to Montana State at Bozeman, Montana (my home town) . After that, I was an income tax auditor for the Internal Revenue Service, college student again, teller in a savings and loan, tried working in a CPA's office, and went back to the savings and loan as an "in-betweener"; ("If that CPA job doesn't work out, come back and we'll make a position if one isn't open." And they did just that.)
      Since October 1976 I've been the accountant at Western Montana College, now part of the University of Montana at Missoula. Mom was so proud that her daughter was working where she (Mom) had gone to school! I've outlasted 11 bosses in the two offices above me, and never thought I'd stay in one place so long; I moved a lot before I came here. I arrived in the first full year after a major financial system change (being integrated into the statewide accounting system), and we are now completing our first year under an entirely new system not shared with the State, but interfaced with it through the Missoula campus. (The entire State was forced by Y2K to change.)
     With my time here, IRS time, and student time at Montana State, I can retire in about five months, but am curious what this fancy new financial system is supposed to run like after all the conversion pains are gone... if they ever really leave.
     I share my house with 4 cats at present, but the oldest probably won't be around many more months. The youngest is less than a year old and has more energy than the rest put together, me included. My biggest "what" at present is what career to take up next. I will insist on get:ing my summers back; June and July are by far the most hectic in our schedule and eat into normal summer activities, like gardening and painting outside and traveling.

Candy Smith Larreau
Ogden, UT
     My great-grandparents on my father's side immigrated to The Dalles from Nova Scotia in 1878 and my grandmother was born a year after they settled. From all I have been able to learn from pictures, family stories and researching the records at the court house, they were quite wealthy. The beautiful pictures of my grandmother in her marvelous large hats, and the pictures of her sitting in a surrey wIth the fringe on top (sound familiar?) are wonderful. ~ it have been great to have seen The Dalles in those days.
     In l905 my Grandmother Fisher married an army officer by the name of Charles F. Smith who was an engineer for the some of the dams on the Columbia River. This took her to Portland where my father was born. Although Grandfather Smith was from Spokane, my father, an only child, was raised in the Portland area and then ended up in Corvallis where he went to college. During college, his mother, who he lived with at that time, was hit by a car while walking down the side walk. She died a few days later. This devastated my father but he went on and graduated from college at 21 and then after traveling around the country for a year or two he went back to The Dalles to live with his grandmother Fisher. So now you have my father in The Dalles in the mid 1920s.
     My mother's parents came from Iowa but as my grandfather Salisbury was a professional baseball pitcher from 1900 until around 1920 they moved around from LA to Iowa and back depending on which team he was on. As they kept having more children, ending up with 9, they finally quit following the baseball life. My grandmother was a newspaper editor and Grandpa was a reporter and it sounded like the newspaper business was what brought them to The Dalles - sometime In the 1920s, also. They ended up buying property out at Rowena where we had large, wonderfully fun, family gatherings. After Grandpa Salisbury passed away, my Grandmother sold the "Ranch" (as we all called it) it to the state - it became Mayer State Park.
     As to how my parents actually met, I don't know. But they were married in the mid 1930s and never moved from The Dalles. As you can see, I have a pretty long background in our wonderful The Dalles. My sister and two brothers and I were all born and raised there and now vou know about how far my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents go back there, too. I'n sure most of you remember my father's Indian good store but my earliest recollection of it was out at Celilo Falls where he had it before the dam was started. I remember standing by those railroad tracks out there at about 4 years old - scary'. What about the cable car?
     Although I was pretty shy, and definitely not part of the "in group" either, Mike, when I was growing up it was really nice to grow up with the so many of the same nice people from the first grade on through the twelfth, although there were plenty of move ins who came from other places and became part of our "bunch". How many of you had Mrs. Lundstrom in the first grade? Wasn't it a thrill to have her come to the high school to congratulate us the last week of our school days?
     Oh, the blessings of either growing up in or moving into the "small" town of The Dalles and being part of the graduating class of l963! Some wonderful memories.
Cindy Lee Elasko / 4/2/64 (female)   Laurie Anne Anderson 5/22/66 (female)
Stan Louis Larreau 3/27/66 (male)   Addison Dean Larreau - 2/11/71 (male)
Eli Fisher Larreau - 7/25/72 (male)   Brad Albert Larrea~ - 12/25/74 (male)

Grandkids: Alan Anderson - 2/11/67, Michael Ray Blasko - 6/2/88 (male), Paul Anderson - 10/11/88 (male)
Alyssa Blasko - 4/5/90 (female), Jeff & Justin Larreau - 6/4/91 (Males), Lucia Blasko - 9/12/91 (female)
Brittany Larreau - 3/12/93 (female), Nathan Anderson - 12/3/94 (male), Benjamin Blasko - 5/26/96 (male)
Addison Dean Larreau, Jr - 5/11/96, Derek Blasko - 11/22/96 (male), Jared Anderson - 5/6/97 (male)
Makenzie Larreau - 6/29/99 (female), Kayla Blasko - 12/7/99 (female)

[What I'm doing now]
    Last year right before our 36th anniversary, Randy and I decided to do something different than live in WA and being tied to our general contracting business. (housebuilding, septic installation and excavating), so we looked around to move elsewhere. After a few months of checking places we decide to move to Utah as we had three of our married children living here at that time and didn't think we could stand not being around some kids/grandkids (mostLy the grandkids. :) ... This move has been a real struggle, as, besides missing the kids/grandkids who lived near us in WA we had a 30' sailboat in Puget Sound and we love sailing. Not to worry, we (mostly Randy) are building a 36' steel sailboat in our back yard! One of the reasons for moving, besides wanting to see a different part of the country, was to thin things down and get "untied" from a business as we are planning on living aboard our new boat when it is ready. Plan that for summer after next at the latest.

Lynn Harmon
Gresham , OR
      Occupation: "undecided - but I'll let you know if I think of something"
Spouse: "yes"
[Why Lynn Harmon was in The Dalles]
     My father was raised in Utah and worked for his uncle's sheep sheering business. The crew would begin the season in Utah and work north to the Canadian border. When the season was over my father would follow various crops back to Utah - including picking cherries in The Dalles. He made The Dalles his home in 1935 and gradually stopped migrating. He worked the WPA projects in the area such as Rock Creek reservoir out of Wamic and was the clerk for the WPA project building the Lewis and Clark memorial next to the Natatorium at the time the war broke out. My mother was teaching in Wyoming and came out to visit her widowed mother in Roseburg in 1938 and was offered a job as a nanny in The Dalles. By the time I was born at the Mid-Columpia hospital in '45 (the fourth of seven children) they owned and operated The Dalles Sand and Gravel Co.
[Ed:] Lynn and his unnamed wife have 2 children.

Marti Bradley
Anchorage, AK
     My Grandfather and Grandmother came by wagon train to Loomis, Washington, where they homesteaded. My father was born there in 1900. He and my Grandfather also owned a logging company at Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Adams. After my grandfather was killed by a falling tree in 1930's, my dad sold the logging company and bought a ranch on Tygh Ridge out of Dufur. In 1941, he was called by the draft. He was the oldest draftee called by the state of Oregon in WWII. An hour before he was to report, he joined the Navy Seabees. He spent the war in North Africa teaching Seabees to run heavy equipment.
     My mother came to The Dalles during the depression.
     In 1951, My dad sold the ranch and moved to The Dalles. He tried to retire, but just about died from boredom. He bought 3 service stations which he ran until his death in 1977.
     So my whole childhood was in The Dalles. Great place to be from.
[Ed:] Marti has 2 children, and is a social worker in Anchorage.

Lois Bonnin Hammond
Surprise, AZ
     My Dad, James Lee Bonnin, worked for the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Raiload which ran along Washington side of the Columbia River from Portland to Bend and to Spokane via the Tri-Cities. It had a division point in Wishram, Washington, just east of The Dalles and Celilo Falls. We moved to The Dalles in May/June of 1955. I lived kitty-corner across the alley from Lynn Harmon on 15th street. I believe that Joe and Steve Lawrence lived straight up the hill several blocks from me. One of my most vivid memories was going down to the football field of the high school on Saturday morning after a Friday night football game to look for dropped change and coke bottles. We (the Harmon kids and I) would turn the bottles in for spending money to go to the Granada. We usually came up with enough money to get in and cover the cost of the pop corn, a drink and some guggi fruits. Remember the days of cartoons, a serial, and two features? I have lots of good memories - play practice and Christmas caroling. We really did have a rather sheltered life in The Dalles.
      We moved from The Dalles in 1960 after 9th grade to Scappoose. It was a real joy to me to see so many classmates at the reunion and to feel the deep friendships that were developed in elementary, junior high and high school that have continued through the years. And I am particularly happy that Mary and Dennis are together. As a side note, I will be moving to Sun City Grand in Arizona the beginning of September.
[Ed:] Lois and Steve have a daughter, Connie.

Ron Beardsley
The Dalles, OR
     All I know is that I was born in The Dalles, and my grandparents worked at the T.B. hospital. My mother married Harold Camp when I was in the 5th grade and bought a house in the Chenowith area. Harold wasa printsetter for Bohn's Printing and worked there from the time he got out of the Army until he got ill and died in 1987.
     I am a millwright for Goldendale Aluminum.
[Ed:] Ron & Sheri have 2 sons and 2 grandsons

Claudia Swingle Jeffers
Portland, OR
     My dad worked for Interstate Tractor He was transferred to The Dalles in 1953, and he worked for Interstate until it was taken over by Empire Machinery, when I was in the 9th grade. Empire then moved to AZ, and we had a chance to move to Flagstaff, but at last minute decided to stay in The Dalles. My dad decided to try his hand at the machinery business, and the start of Swingle Machinery started in an ex trailer park laundry room on frontage road (across freeway from where it is now).
     I attended St. Mary's, and got the "good" Catholic background, which I haven't regretted at all. I was really scared to go JR HIGH, so "BIG" but after that first week, I got in the mold and really enjoyed it. I loved all the different activities and clubs.
     I'd love to live back in The Dalles again, if there was work there. I love the "small town", the climate, not the wind, maybe someday.
     I'm now living in Portland, Gresham area, and work for CNF Transportation as a License Clerk, I've been there for 11 yrs, and plan to stay until I retire, within the next 5 years.
[Ed:] Claudia and her husband, Jim, have 3 kids and 3 grandkids

Rick McReynolds
Medford, OR
     My Dad had been a teacher in Dayton and Forest Grove and had worked during the summer for Hudson House which is a food processing business. Cherries were a large part of their business. They offered my Dad a position at a plant they were opening in The Dalles. We moved during the summer and I started first grade at Joseph G. Wilson school. Mrs. Walters was my first grade teacher. I "belonged to The Dalles" until the summer of 1964.       After graduation I returned to The Dalles and worked for the cherry plant and the City of The Dalles Recreation Department for one summer. After that, I ended up in the Willamette Valley, Portland (summerjobs while attending college), and finally in Medford where I've been for 33 years.
     So, nothing special brought me to The Dalles, but I treasure the memories that I have of growing up in such a neat town with such a neat group of friends.
     I am preparing for my 33rd year of teaching Science in the Medford High Schools. I started in 1967 at Medford Mid High School. We became South Medford High School in 1986. I've been teaching Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and various other courses since that time. I coached baseball for 20 years and football for 25 years. I plan to retire, effective January 2001, the beginning of the true millenium.
[Ed:] Rick and his wife, Judy, have 2 children and at least 1 grandchild.

Cathy Cummins Wilson
The Dalles, OR
     My dad worked construction in the Northwest after he and my mother moved from Minnesota before I was born, so we lived at Port Orchard, Wa near Bremerton, Soap Lake, WA, North Richland, Kennewick, North Richiand again, Grandview, The Dalles, Pasco then back to The Dalles January 1960 where I have lived since then except for a three month period in 1966 when I lived in Redmond, Oregon.
     After graduating from DHS, I continued to work for the Credit Bureau of Wasco County where I had worked during high school. I left them January 1967 to work as office manager for Columbia Dodge in The Dalles for 2 years. In March 1969 I went to work for Mauser Building Supply Center and in July 1978 I went to work at Wasco Electric Cooperative, Inc. where I am now the general manager.
     I married Norm Wilson June 12, 1966. He drove truck for Silver Wheels Freight and sold cars for Thomas Motors at that time. He worked for Thomas Motors for several years, The Dalles Datsun and owned used car lots Phase II Pre-owned Vehicles and Mid Columbia Auto Sales. During that time he also owned some trucks. Norm died May 18, 1999.
     I sold my house and at the moment I'm living in the duplex where my family lived when we moved here July 1956, 50 it's really "going home". It has made my sisters and me think a lot about those days, how it was living in The Dalles and our lives together at that time. I won't be there long because I have purchased a house and will move again the middle of August.
     My 1ife at work involves travel for many industry meetings. In the last year, I have been to meetings in Anaheim, Calgary, Snow Bird Resort, Orlando, Washington DC, Lake Tahoe and many Washington and Oregon. I'm enjoying being in charge, working with the employees, directors and industry groups very much (most days)
     I enjoy reading the e-mail everyone sends and look forward to seeing all of you at the next class reunion.
[Ed:] Cathy has 2 stepchildren and 4 grandkids.

Kay Halphide Griffith
Bend, OR
     After my dad was discharged from the Army my parents moved to Missoula, MT from North Dakota. I was born in Missoula. They then spent a short time in Salmon, ID and then moved to The Dalles in 1947. I have always considered myself lucky to have grown up in such a beautiful area.
     My dad worked for Sunset Motors and my mother worked in several grocery stores over a period of time. My dad's passion was boating. I loved to go fishing with him. I remember Celilo Falls and being able to go through the locks past the Falls. I also remember the building of the dam and being able to tie up to the spillway and have lunch on a sunny day. I remember when the gates were closed to block the water and the water came over the spillway. Mostly I remember that the falls was silent.
     Right now I am working for UNICOM in Bend, OR. I retired from U S West (now Qwest) in 1998.
[Ed:] Kay and husband Jim have a son.
Wanda Bryson Sparks
Littleton, CO
     A year after my birth in Missouri, my parents, Walt & Jean, sister Shirley, and I headed for Seattle. After also spending time in Hermiston, Umatilla, and Sutherland, we arrived in The Dalles in 1954. Our first few days were spent at Mrs. Monahan's boarding house on Kelly Street before moving into our home on Lewis Street. From there we moved to 14th Street, and then to 17th Street. Just like Glojo's father, my father built The Dalles Dam, and my mother also worked for the Corp. of Engineers.
     The school years, from 4th grade through high school, were at Colonel Wright, Whittier, The Dalles Junior High and The Dalles High. During those years I met, socialized, experienced, cried, laughed, matured (?), learned and created memories with all of you wonderful people.
     Three days after graduating from High School, My mother and I left to join my father in Pakistan, who was in the process of building another dam. Ironically, the last few days in The Dalles were at Mrs. Monahan's boarding house again. Naturally, I was devastated by my departure and thought life had ceased to exist. Fifteen years went by before returning to The Dalles for a class reunion. I also attended the 25th and 35th reunion, and am looking forward to the 40th.
     After leaving The Dalles, I attended college, wandered around for a while and ended up in Denver. Before getting a chance to pack my meager belongings again, I met Dave and we married in 1970, moved to Littleton and our son, Kasey, was born in 1973. Presently, I am working for the College For Financial Planning.

Larry Ferguson
Boring, OR
     My family moved to The Dalles in 1958 when my Dad went to work for Harvey Aluminum. I was born and lived at the foot of Mt Ranier until I was 13 years old in an area that was beyond rural. I came from a very small close knit community of Christian fundamentalists into an environment that was positively cosmopolitan by comparison. I did NOT fit.
     My first memory of T.D. was Steve Lawrence riding by me on a bicycle as I walked down West 6th, turning around and coming back to warn me not to wear my black leather jacket to school when it started in about a week. I had never even heard of James Dean, much less know what the word greaser meant! Advice I should have heeded! I had to fight my way in the front door of good old TDJHS for the next three months, a traumaic experience it took me years to get over and caused me to withdraw from the normal social environs most teenagers are ex­posed to. My weight ballooned and I turned into a bookworm who only left his bedroom to go to school or hunting with my Father. Then I met Miss Trabue, as if my life wasn't hellish enough!
     Miss Trabue (I bet her name still strikes fear in some of your hearts) was the only true psychopath I ever had for a teacher. She tried to motivate thru humiliation, and although it never worked for her, she never quit trying! She was above all else consistant! For some reason Al Unruh always had 196 transfer requests on his desk. Coincidentally she had 196 students. The only kid who ever passed muster in her class was Mervin Foster, a math genius about whom Beelzubub (aka Miss Trabue) could not stop raving about. Mervin hated this as much as the rest of us. "It's MERVIN, Miss Trabue, MERVIN, not Merwin!" I found out later he used to call her, disguising his voice of course, telling her what a nut she was. I subsequently married his sister. Mervin died the summer he graduated in a fiirmin(4 accident. A great loss, I can assure you.
     On to DHS! Life changed for me after I entered high school and I became much more suave and debonaire with my advancing maturity (yeah, right!). I turned into the Invisible Kid, sat in the back of the room in every class and at one point in my academic carreer did a pretty good imitation of a blackboard by cleaning erasures off on my clothes! This worked pretty good until Walt Smith tried to write homework assignments on my anatomy one day. Blew my cover. He kept me after class and asked me how long I had been doing an imitation of a blackboard. When I told him three months, he asked me if I'd ever heard of the CIA. I was so good at being invisible that I sneezed one day and scared ten years off the life of Steve Huff~ another 'back-row Buddy'. "Jesus, where the Hell did you come from?" There all the time. I was good. Used to see all kinds of stuff like the 'better' students passing around the answers to tests one of them had stolen from the office.
     I became one of the class clowns, under the assumption I suppose that if the Person In Charge (the Teacher) was laughing he wouldn't flunk me(always a possibility in my case) or at least not hit me too hard. As a matter of fact it did happen in my Sophmore year when my English teacher knocked me on my keester in front of the entire class because he was tired of competing with me for the class' attention! I can assure you I behaved myself after that. The year before he and Al Unruh had kicked me out of Freshman English for the same reason, and I knew I could never graduate without that credit, so for four years I had that hanging over my head. I also somehow 'forgot' to tell my parents about this situation. Something about my ability to continue breathing in and out; "Enraged Father Beats Class Clown To Death", screamed the Chronical's headlines, in my minds eye. He would have been acquitted too. Anyway, in March of my senior year I was called into the student councillors office ( a place I had never been, as no s.c. would waste their time or breath on me heretofore) and told the following:    a.) " cannot graduate without a credit in Freshman English", my heart stopped it's rythmic and comforting thumping in my thorax, and as I pounded my chest with clenched fist headlines again flashed thru my mind, "Enraged Father Castrates, Kills, Dismembers and Eats Own Son!!!" (you learned at an early age not to mess with my Dad). After watching my discomfort for an eternity, smiling all the while he dropped the other shoe.
   b)" I have conducted a survey of your teachers, and not a one want's you back for year thirteen! You are getting what is known as a' social promotion'."
"Does this mean I get a diploma?"
"In your case, most definitely, yes!"
"I'm outta here!"
     I was the only kid that got a standing ovation at commencement, from the STAFF at DHS!

Steve Lawrence ( by default, also Joe)
Steve : Portland, OR
Joe : Boston, MA
     Bill & June Lawrence moved to The Dalles in 1942, so Bill could teach at the high school. He had already built the first shop at another high school and was rarin' to go. Debbie was born in 1942, and of course, Joe and I in 1945. Anyone else?
     Bill's parents were from Corvallis. Grandpa Lawrence was a Professor of Botany at Oregon State University and Grandpa Dick (mom's side) was a railroad engineer for many years before he retired in The Dalles.
Karen Meistrell Anderson
Bedford, TX
     I was born in The Dalles because my mother was afraid to have me in Hood River County. My mother was from Boise, ID, and met my father, who had come West from Kansas during the Depression with his mother and brother. My father had a garage, store, and wrecker in Bridal Veil in the 30s. His mother developed liver cancer and he advertised in the Mr. Fixit column of the Oregonian for someone to live-in and care for her. My mother responded. She had my brother and several miscarriages between him and my sister. She almost died when my sister was born in Hood River, so she wanted to have me in a better hospital, so she came to The Dalles and I was born.
     My father followed her and worked in a garage in The Dalles, but by the time I was a year old, bought a garage in Mosier, where my family moved. I went to Mosier school the first 6 years. My father's business went belly-up, so they moved back to The Dalles. My father had broken his leg when he went to work for a sawmill in Mosier, so was unemployed and recuperating when we moved to The Dalles. Our neighbor. Mr. Sorweide, was a member of the fruit grower's coop, where he helped my father, who was 63, get a job. He worked there until he was 72. Mother worked at the hospital, in the kitchen, for a few years, then went to work for the school district, where whe was Mr. Larvick's secretary.
[Ed:] Karen and her husband Joe live in Texas.

Diane Colcord
Tillamook, OR
     Newlyweds Doane and Cecile Colcord came to The Dalles from Eugene in 1938 in a Model A, which carried them and all their belongings. It was winter time, the heater didn't work and Mom was freezing. They came to The Dalles because that is where Daddy got a job at Walther Williams. He worked for that dealership for many years, then went to Sunset Motors. I was always very proud of my Dad because he had a reputation for being a very honest car salesman, even with the King of Gypsies in Portland! I remember Mom telling me about "the early years" when Daddy made around $90 a month and I shreiked, My gosh, how did you guys live???? What did you have after taxes??? That is when I learned income tax didn't always exist. Mom also cooked on a woodstove the first year in the 223 house. - couldn't believe I was old enough that MY mother cooked on a woodstove.
     My fo1ks briefly lived out Chenowith way, then moved to W. 11th St. where my brother was born. When I was one (late 194G- or 1947), they bought the house at 223 W. 9th (for a very scary $9,900). And there I grew up and Mom lived until April of 1997. My Dad died in October of '92. There were no other little kids in the neighborhood until Greg Acker and his family moved into the house on the other end of the block. And in high school Karen Meistrell lived across the street.
     It was such a good childhood and I was blessed with such wonderful parents. And of course excellent classmates and many lifelong friends.

Gloria Jolley Johnson
Roseburg, OR
     The Leonard Jolley family came to The Dalles from Corvallis in August 1955. My father built The Dalles Dam, single-handedly!!! I was born in Provo, Utah, lived there for one year, moved to Cottage Grove, OR for two years, then Corvallis until the move to The Dalles.
[Ed:]Gloria and her husband Roland have had 3 children -- 2 daughters and a son who sadly passed away in 2001.

Verna Worthington Wilcox (AKA Valerie Wilcox)
LaConner, WA
     Gosh, I thought MY dad built the dam. I was in the 4th grade when we moved to TD from Mill City, OR where Dad worked on another dam (can't recall the name). The first person 1 remember meeting was Wanda Bryson. I thought she had the cutest pigtails I'd ever seen. Anyway, she loaned me a pencil and a friendship blossomed. Our parents became friends also. I had just finished 9th grade when Dad took a disability retirement from the government and we moved back to Portland where mv parents still had a home. If I have one regret in life it is that move. I was miserable at the snobby Grant High School--very different from TD! That's why I'm so glad to reconnect with all you guys. I only remember a handfiil of people out of a class of over 600 at Grant but I remember practically everybody 1 knew from TD. It was a great place to live!
[Ed:]Of course Valerie is a published author and avid sailor (sailette?)
Jim Chapman
Spencerport, NY
     The Everett Chapmans moved to The Dalles from Tillamook via Hood River in late summer of 1953. Everett "Bud" Chapman was a rookie Oregon State Trooper. He spent almost his entire career as a trooper in TD, moving to Salem for the last 9 years as a forensic handwriting specialist.
     Mary Jane Chapman worked as a secretary for the school district and for Montgomery Wards in TD. She also played organ and piano at the First Christian Church in TD.
     Jim was born in Tillamook and claims "dual hometowns". [Ed:]I have 2 daughters, 2 sons and 3 grandsons. I live in NY with my wife Joanne.

Mike Legault
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
     It was the winter of 1956, when my father got a call from Mr. Lawrence Harvey, then president of Harvey Aluminum in Torrance, California. Mr. Harvey wanted a Mechanical Engineer to design and assemble an Aluminum Plant in The Dalles. At the time we were living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.~.. My father went there first, started the design process and we followed after Christmas. I'11 always remember the contrast when we got off the plane in Los Angeles.. .my father in his burmuda shorts, my mother with her fur coat and us children (we were 3) in our winter attire - shades of the "Grapes of Wrath".
     By the way, if you really want to know how fast things are today as compared to then... Our trip from Montreal, Quebec, Canada to Los Angeles took almost 48 hours by plane.. Left Montreal to Chicago, waited almost half a day at the airport for connecting flight... left for an overnight non-stop flight to Los Angeles in a TWA super Constellation plane only to arrive late the next day in LA....: think today the whole process takes less than 6 hrs.???
     Two years later we moved to The Dalles as the Aluminum Plant was built and ready to receive the power from Gloria's father's dam. To learn that Gloria's father built the dam by himself is quite shocking... cause if it wasn't for the dam, there would have been no Aluminum Plant. I went to The Dalles Jr. High school because I was tired of the nuns... (I just told my mom that I was not going to school if I went with the nuns.. .so off to public school I went...) For a while lived on 19th street near our budding writer Verna Wilcox Worthinaton. While in The Dalles we moved twIce to finally land in a house near the Hospital. One of my most memorable moments was the New Years eve party we held at our house and where Arnold Kloppenburg (our foreign exchange student) celebrated his birthday. Another, was our all night graduation party at the Harvey Aluminum recreational park... Other memorable moments was described to you when I sent you my first email in the form of a Thank you.
     We left The Dalles in 1964 to return to Canada. Today, I have nothing but fond memories of The Dalles and I can't wait for 2003
[Ed:] Mike and Lucille have three children.
Mary Lou Griffith
Portland, OR
     My grandfather, Joseph B. Dimmick, was born in The Dalles in 1878. (Can you imagine? My roots go WAY back.) My grandparents ran a huge family homestead near Parkdale for 50 years where my mother was born and raised. My parents lived near the homestead until my father died when I was two years old.
     When I was five, we moved to The Dalles where my mother was a nurse at the Tuberculosis Hospital on the hIll. I went to St. Mary's through the fourth grade, then ended up in Mrs. Unruh's fifth grade class for my introduction to the real world -- Gloria, Diane McCollum, Ron Rowland, Rodney Hill, Mark Jensen. Whew.' The rest is history.

DiAnne Anderson Wasson
The Dalles, OR
     My mother's family were all born in Hood River, my dad was from Colorado....I was born on the Marine base in El Centro, California. We moved back to Hood River after the parents divorced, I ended up living with my Grandmother & step-grandfather. We moved to Hermiston (step-grandfather worked on the dams), to The DalIes (when I was in 2nd grade) then to Walla Walla, WA....My Grandmother & step-grandfather divorced and Grandma and I moved back to The Dalles when I was in the third grade. Went to Court 5treet School, Whittier, etc. Have only been out of The balles while Tom was in college, then we moved back here voluntarily.....(his family homesteaded up on Pleasant Ridge, he is a third generation Dalles-ite).
     It is a place that kind of grows on you...big cities are nice to "visit". [Ed:] DiAnne and Tom have several kids ("malicious teenagers" she calls them)

Bill O'Gorman
Hermiston, OR
     The O'Gorman family moved to The Dalles in August 1959. My father worked for Pacific Inland Navagation Tank Farm and was transferred there from Umatilla, OR. I was born in Hermiston, OR and lived in Umatilla, LaGrande, Hermiston and back to Umatilla in 1951.
     I remember the terror I felt on my first day at The Dalles Jr. Higb. There were more kids at school than lived in the whole town of Umatilla. The first people I met were Steve and Joe Lawrence and things weren't so bad after that.

Janet Meislahn Beatty
Beaverton, OR
     I came to The Dalles at the ripe old age of 7 in 1952 (in the second grade). It was a difficult year. I started the second grade in Bremerton,WA, my place of birth, continued it in Warrenton, OR, then in Astoria, OR, and was able to finish, finally, in The Dalles. And yes, I did it in one year. My step-father had a small loan consumer finance office which was big business in those days (Doug Gerow Finance). The whole industry dissolved with the advent of "plastic money". I managed to stay put until 1960 when the dam was completed and our family moved to Portland. So I finished my last three years of high school at Beaverton, OR.

Cherri Adams Keller
The Dalles, OR
     I, Cherri Adams, was born in The Dalles but lived in Arlington, Oregon. My father's occupation as salesman and later manager of Stone Machinery brought my family to The Dalles in 1956 when I was a sixth grader. My Mother worked for Bell Telephone in Arlington and transferred to The Dalles office. My Mother was born and raised in Rufus, OR. My Father graduated from Dufur,OR and got his teaching degree at Monmouth, OR. I have two older sisters and one younger sister and much younger little brother. All four of us girls went into teaching. My brother is an electrical engineer for Boeing. I taught first grade for nine years and then Kindergarten until 1998 when I retired after 31 years of teaching. I met my husband in college and got married in 1967. He too was a teacher but left that profession in 1972 when we moved back to The Dalles and Keith went into the grain elevator business. Keith now manages the elevator at Roosevelt WA, across from Arlington. We would have moved to Arlington but the ferry stopped running that year. Roosevelt is 55 miles east of The Dalles.
     I have taught in Salem, Tigard, Prineville and The Dalles. I have three children. Tracy (girl) was born in Prineville, OR, Cindy and Jason were born in The Dalles. All three graduated from Oregon Sate University. A year ago they all lived in Portland and I got to see them often. Plus, they took very good care of each other and I didn't worry too much. My girls formed their own business four years ago. They have a .com business (Distinctive Features -- ID Kits for pets, children or adults) and have been working on a .net business to go along with their child ID Kits that are sold in K-Mart, ( My son and daughter-in-law are working on their masters in Tucson, Arizona. They hope to come back to Oregon in a year or so. I have two granddaughters from my first daughter who lives in Vancouver,WA now. Her husband is a Portland Police officer. Kaitlyn is 4 and Brittany is 2.
     I substitute teach as much as I can. It is great. I get to teach and then go home. I spend time with my granddaughters doing all those things I didn't have time or money to do with my own children. My husband still works in Roosevelt. We have traditions that we keep up like a weekend at the beach with our children and their families, a golfing week or two with my husband brothers and their wives. Holidays and "just because" get together with family.

Stacy Goff
Colorado Springs, CO
      Moved to The Dalles in 1950. Here's what I've done since 1963:
        a. Attended college, U of O, 1963-67.
        b. '67-81 Worked as computer programmer, systems analyst, project manager.
        c. '75-81 Raced sports cars, SCCA West coast champion; lap records at all tracks.
        d. '79-81 Started microcomputer user group; 50k members, 250 chapters, 15 countries.
        e.'81-today Project Management consultant, specializing in Information Technology, and provider of methods and advice to large and small consulting firms.
     For more information about current professional efforts, see my website,
       Hobbies:Wine, travel to unique parts of the world.

William Fisher
Lebanon, TN
      Although my parents moved to The Dalles prior to my brother's birth there, I was born in a Naval Hospital on a Construction Battalion Base near Oxnard, CA in June of 1945. While my father's home base was Port Hueneme, CA, he was attached to a Construction Battalion on Guam where he served as a dentist. He was honorably discharged at the rank of Lieutenant Commander in 1945 and moved back to The Dalles where he had already set up his practice. My mother had received her degree in nursing from the University of Oregon in 1929 (I think) so that she could become an airline stewardess (RN degrees were a requirement for such in those days) but alas the stock market crash and eventual "Great Depression" thwarted her dreams so she became the best nurse she could and then married my father thinking she'd finally be secure, (boy was she mistaken!), but it gave her fodder for venting, ranting and raving and getting drunk.
      My childhood was relatively uneventful until I reached the age of ten when the other boys in my class at St. Mary's started pointing out to me that I was "different" and therefore a freak. Granted, I have always used both sides of my brain and been more sensitive than most males but a freak?!? So my life began a new path of pain, not only at school where I was taunted for being effeminate but at home where I was my own mother's designated parent (as anyone who is an adult child of an alcoholic will understand). How I managed to stay alive is anyone's guess for I constantly dwelled on suicide especially when I was attending public school, i.e. DHS. Thank God for my neighbors the Hattenhaurs and especially, Alonalee, who was always an angel and accepted me and showed me respect and extended friendship as did a few others, like Mary Burslie, Sally Woods and Christine Boothby to name just some. I managed to graduate and go on to The University of Portland where I graduated with a B.A. in English in 1967 and then got a letter from Uncle Sam saying I was going to be drafted (there went my dreams of attending grad school and getting my doctorate in Drama!). So, to avoid combat on mainland Viet Nam, I joined the Navy as an enlisted man serving as a Radioman at anti-submarine warfare units on Adak, AL, decommissioning the Hornet in Bremmerton, WA and serving on the line outside of Haiphong Harbor on board the USS Hancock (an aircraft carrier).       Yes, this nelly man actually got to serve in Uncle Sam's Navy and did it without incident (I wasn't "out" then). I was discharged honorably in 1971 and returned to Portland where I worked at the Oregonian and went to school at Portland State. I "came out" in Portland's Gay Society with the nickname "Sweet William" where I was on stage at what is now known as Darcell's (Dorsel's we often had referred to it) when it was still a skidrow tavern called Demos's Tavern. I couldn't "see" myself doing serious "drag" so I lip-sync'd songs like "Rubber Duckie", the Money Song from Cabaret (Broadway version) and "If You Could See Her Through My Eyes" for comic effect as a male, often to rave reviews. I was working as a clerk typist and an investigator for the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Labor for the State of Oregon at that time.      In 1976, while on vacation in San Francisco, I met a DJ at The Cinch and he persuaded me to move there so, while Armistead Maupin's "Tales Of The City" was being published in The San Francisco Chronicle, I was reading it's daily issues. It was a wild time except when I was working at the Social Security Administration's various offices in the Bay Area, but even that experience gave me fodder for serious and funny screenplay material. Then the AIDS epidemic hit that fair city and me. I lost a lot of friends to that disease and lovers. 1989 was especially dreadful and after the earthquake hit, it threw up my arms and yelled "Uncle"! So, in 1990 I moved to Key West, FL where in 1992 I was diagnosed as being HIV+.       Today, I work for Gaylord Entertainment/the Opryland Hotel in Reservations and Ticketing and write whenever I can. I have a lover, Kenny, whom I met online in an HIV+ chatroom at We have been together for a year now and are buying a house in Lebanon, TN: "finally happy after all these years..."!?
J. Jan Janik
Mountain View, CA
      The reason we moved to The Dalles is that Mom (maiden name Tracy) grew up here. She graduated in 1940. After Mom and Dad got out of the navy (Dad in bomb disposal, Mom in what I later found out was a code-breaking unit) we moved from Washington, D.C., where I was born, back to Dad's hometown of Chicago. We stayed there until Mom and Dad got tired of raising a kid in a big city. Since I was only 3, I have no memories of Chicago. When we got to The Dalles, we moved into my grandparents house on 13th street. Dad and Grandpa built our house on a vacant lot next door, 1313 E. 13th, I believe. Saw it during the 30th reunion and it had turned into a real dump. Sad. Dad had never built a house before, so he checked a lot of books out of the library and built everything way over code. That is probably why it has survived a lot of neglect since we moved out of it when I started the ninth grade. He only lasted one day in his first job in The Dalles. It was chipping paint off some old barges in the middle of the river. He said he had enough paint chipping in the Navy. He then found a job with Pacific Power and Light as a meter reader and stayed with them until he retired at 62.5 as an office manager. Mom worked in several jobs in between having my brother and my sister. She was able to do this since my Dad's mom came to live with us in 1951 after my Grandfather died.
      I left The Dalles twice during high school. Once half way through Sophmore year when Dad was transfered to Corvallis. However, in the summer, they decided they needed him to take a traveling job and since we still had the house in The Dalles (a new one on Wright Drive), we moved back to The Dalles. Thus, I spent my Junior year back as an Indian. Some of the people who gave me a nice going away party at Steve and Joe L.'s house were a little disappointed that I had come back. So, when I left again before my Senior year started (Dad got transfered to Coos Bay), no party. Maybe a little beer with the boys, but I really can't remember. I did come back the summer after my Senior year to work at Stadelman's (spelling) for a second year. After that it was college at Oregon State (back in Corvallis again) and then a move to the Bay area after graduation in 1967 where I have been ever since (not counting job assignments for six months each in Zurich (75) and Brussels (79)).
      So, although I didn't graduate with the class of '63, I have made it to every reunion the class has had (at least the ones you let me know about) and I think of myself as a member of the class of '63 (and proud of it).
     Cureently working for Siemens in the Telecommunications Division. Writing automated test tool software.
      Major non-work activities: Scuba Diving
     Number one passion after Cathy. Dancing and going to concerts (blues and rock primarily). A toss-up with Scuba diving and it is something Cathy and I can do together. Wine. Enjoying learning about, tasting, and drinking. I haven't made any since a rather interesting youthful experiment in (I believe) 1962. Check with my partners Steve and Joe L., John McKay and ... Hiking when we can get away. Hawaii is a favorite spot since Cathy's mom lives in Kona and we try to visit at least once a year. Also snorkling is good here and Cathy and I can do this together. Being a grandpa.

Jane Miller Mitchell
The Dalles, OR
     "My Story"....Not very complicated or "exciting" but very rewarding. I attended College for a year after Graduation then began to work...First in Eugene..back to The Dalles...then back to Eugene. I met my future husband "via Air Mail". In the days before the internet. A friend of his was also an aqaintance of mine...Larry was a Sailor aboard The USS St.Paul in the late 60's..He told his friend that he wanted to write to some "girls" since he was newly divorced. Because at that time I was also writing regularly to my brother Doug and several friends serving in Vietnam I added his name and began to write. The best decision I ever made..We wrote for about 6 months. He came home in October. We were engaged by November and married in California on March 16, 1968. DisneyLand was our honeymoon the next day and he left on March 20, l968 aboard the USS St. Paul (an all-gun Heavy Cruiser) for another 7 months tour to Vietnam. Thank heavens for the Parents I had...Never a word about making a mistake...marrying a divorced man. A "sailor" no less, that I had only written to for most of the beginning of our "courtship" and marriage. I don't know that I would have been as trusting of either of my daughters to have made that same kind of decision.
     Larry was born in Iowa and raised in Michigan but fell in love with The Dalles which was fine with me because I kind of like being here myself. I have never been to any other city that I would like to live in....Visit, yes. Live, no. We settled here for good in 1972.
     What I am doing now is trying to be the very best "Grandma" to my 4 grandchildren. They are, of course, the "smartest", "cutest". most wonderful grandchildren ever!! I love to spoil them and send them home...(Tri-Cities, Wa.) In order to support my "grandchildren habit" I am working fulltime at Nortec Billing Service. We do all the billing for the Radiologists in the area...A lot of data entry but a job I enjoy. Larry is now retired and is a terrific "house-husband". He has everything down except for the cooking..He loves to cook but also loves to experiment. If a little is good a lot is better? We are still working on those skills.
Bob Rooper
San Mateo, CA
     My Father was raised in Antelope, Oregon where my Grandfather was Mayor & owned the town's only general store. The rest of the Rooper family owned large sheep ranches in the Antelope area. My Mother is from Virginia, Minnesota which is where I was born. My Grandfather was a Forest Ranger who died in the line of duty before I was born. My parents met during WWII in California where my Mother worked in the Oakland Shipyards and my father served in the Navy.
     I retired in 1987 from Greyhound Lines Inc. as the District Manager for Northern California. I am now VP of Operations for a family organization which owns numerous transportation companies that make up the 12th largest private bus company in the US. Although many still think I'm either retired or semi-retired due to my passion for golf, I still enjoy the "Fast Company" of the corporate world of business. The highlight of my life is when my twin sons began to join me in friendly competition on the golf course.

Linda Wellington Zellman
Tacoma, WA
     We moved to The Dalles in 1947. I attended TD schools through Jr. High. After High School, I went to Central Washington State College in Ellensburg and graduated in 1968 with a BA in Recreation. After a year of knocking around, playing hippie, I went to work at Western State Hospital, where I met Len (a nurse). I dropped out in 1973 to play mommie and worked part time at the Tacoma Boys Club as their first female Recreation Specialist. In 1976, I went to work at the Washington Veterans Home as the Therapeutic Recreation Specialist. I retired from the State in March (my 55th birthday)with 30 years between there and the time at Western State.
     Since my retirement, I've been working occasionally as a Party Consultant. (I always said partying is serious business) I also have written a book for kids that I'm currently "shopping around" to publishers, and I am finishing up my late mother's book.
[Ed:] Linda has 2 children and 2 grandchildren.
Kay White Tenold
The Dalles, OR
     We moved to The Dalles in 1948. I have spent my life living in The Dalles. I met my husband Rich in 1961 when I was 15 years old. We were married the summer of my graduation in 1963. We have 2 lovely children and 4 grandchildren. Each of us are fortunate enough to still have one parent still living and our children both work for our companies so we see each other often. We are looking to retire within the next year or two.
     We have owned and operated Rich Tenold Const. Inc. for over 25 years. We specialize in underground utilitity work for small towns and developers. I own Pomona Meadow Homes Inc. We are a Manufactured Home dealership selling Golden West brand homes. We have 2 developments in The Dalles (Pomona Meadow Homes & Honey-Do Street) also one in Dufur (Barlow Junction). We are in the process of developing 10 acres near the hospital that we are calling Sunridge Place.

Danielle Hendrickson Carson
Murphys/Visalia, CA
      I left the Dalles in the fifth grade. We moved a lot, settling finally in California. I actually didn't do well until 20 years ago. Then great things began to happen from great sadness.
      I'm a recovering alcoholic. When i was a year sober my youngest daughter was killed by a drunk driver. At that time i decided to do something in memory of her and I began opening recovery group homes for teenage boys. I prayed for children but I finally quit after the 40th. We now have six group homes and I spend my time traveling from one juvenile hall to the other. We have our own school and 40 employees. My oldest daughter, Tiffany works with me. She was a probation officer so she does very well. We named the business Karis house, Inc. That was Renee's middle name. I live between two cities, Murphys, CA, where I have one group home and Visalia, CA where the other five are.
     I live with my two dogs, Shaka and Haley, a mini dauchshund and an english sheep dog. My life early was not very good but my senior days are exceptional. My four grandkids and my forty gangsters are so fulfilling. I can honestly say that i am a very happy person.

Back to Top